Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > N Gauge

N Gauge N Gauge model railway topics

Old 26-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
numark991
Tony the Destroyer

numark991 is on a distinguished road
Default Turntable motors anyone????

Hi

I have just recently started up constructing my layout again after a 2 year break and was wondering if anybody modelling N gauge had any advice on turntables and there motors , which to use ,how much ,and where to buy them from ??

If anyone can help it would be a big help .
numark991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
Frisbee54

Frisbee54 is on a distinguished road

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm currently bulding an N gauge layout and have installed a motorised turntable. I used a Peco Turntable kit which is easy to put together and added a 12v motor which I bought from "The Signal Box" - Their reference is EX26210 (unfortunately currently out of stock). This works really well but I did find that the best way to operate it was to hook it up to a second-hand variable controller-which I got off Ebay-this enables me to vary the speed and direction of the turntable. I'm sure there are other options for operation but this one works for me.

If you can't get one of these, Frizinghall Models in Bradford do a similar motor which is a bit more expensive due to the fact it has an additional reduction gear and worm-drive which may allow it to be operated without a variable controller. I've not used one of these so I can't speak from experience.

Hope this helps and good luck with the layout.

Regards

John
Frisbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
numark991
Tony the Destroyer

Thanks John
I have asked my local model shop countless times to order one but they insist on pointing me in the dirction of a local electronics store to as they say "do it yourself" they also claim teh peco one can be very noisey ??
Do you have any noise issues ??
much appreciated
Old 26-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Frisbee54

Hi Again

I must admit that the operation isn't the quietest I've ever heard!! There is an occasional squeak from the turntable itself as you've got plastic running on plastic and the gears being plastic are not exactly quiet plus the motor itself is fairly noisy! However I can put up with that and after hearing a full size vacuum operated turntable in action I would suggest that the noise is proto-typical!!

Regards

John
Old 26-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
numark991
Tony the Destroyer

Cheers again John i think i will stick by my guns and tell the shop i wish to have one also as you have already have yours up and running i assume how have you gone about fixing all this mechanism under your base board?

Cheers

Anthony
Old 26-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

Hi
I have the Signal Box TT motor on my Peco "OO" turntable. Actually its the one produced and from Expo Drillls and Tools.
Note: The motor is rated at 6 volts dc!
I have a Meccano large gear wheel and worm gear that the motor turns both an ebay purchase.
I have fixed the motor/gear box to a 6mm thick piece of ply and then that in turn is bonded to a 9mm thick ply sub base. Both pieces are 'bonded' together and to the underside to the TT well by using some household white mastic sealant as the adhesive! This tends to give some insulation from the motor noise when the motor is running.

I use a variable and regulated PSU giving a maximum of 6 volts output. By keeping the volts below 6volts the motor becomes less noisy and turns quite slow too.

Old 26-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
TWICK9

TWICK9 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I motorized my Peco turntable with a motor from an old video camera and some gears from a video recorder. I also used a controller as mentioned by Frisbee to reduce the speed further but use a toggle switch to change direction . I mounted the motor on a piece of wood to help stop noise and after painting the well I smeared a very thin layer of grease on the dummy rail. It runs very slow and quiet.

http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/...%20SEA/Z14.jpg
Old 26-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
Frisbee54

Hi Anthony

Yes I fixed all the gubbins under the baseboard but in a slightly different way to Flashbang's photographs.

I cut the hole in the baseboard using an adjustable hole cutter so that the well of the turntable dropped in with a reasonably tight fit.

Unlike Flashbang I didn't use a worm-drive or reduction gear but glued the shaft from the motor directly into the spindle of the turntable.

I had some additional wiring as I had to supply a DCC feed to the rails on the turntable bridge which were subsequently wired into the DCC bus.

I then connected the motor to a variable controller which allows me to vary the speed and direction of the turntable.

Regards

John
Old 26-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
Paul Blackpool

Paul Blackpool is on a distinguished road
Default Turntable N gauge

Hi Have you considered the Atlas powered turntable. This will be a model of a USA prototype but you might be able to anglicise it.
Paul Blackpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
numark991
Tony the Destroyer

Hi to all

Thank you very much for the feed back i will try and get round to putting these in action hopefully over the weekend .

Cheers

Anthony