Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > N Gauge

N Gauge N Gauge model railway topics

Old 25-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
Arch

Arch is on a distinguished road
Default New bedroom feature...

Hi all, not been around for a while, we've been concentrating time and money on building our bedroom and bathroom, and doing the odd stint of volunteering at a real sized railway, the West Lancs Light Railway.

However, with the bedroom approaching the painting stage, we were looking at one particular wall, which will be the one we look at when sitting in bed. The wall is 16 feet long in all, the alcoves are 4' 6" each, and the central chimney breast is 7', and sticks out 11" from the back wall.

The sloping ceiling (it's an attic room) comes down to meet short walls. There's a chimney breast in the middle, with alcoves either side. There will be radiators in the alcoves, and we planned a shelf above each one to hold books and stuff. But the face of the chimney breast has nothing planned, and I was saying it maybe needed 'something' to look at. I wondered about a faux fireplace. Or a long piece of landscape art.

Or a shelf, aligned with the lower ceiling/wall line of the alcoves. But what could go on such a shelf, to be interesting to look at? Books? Nicknacks?

Or some N Gauge...

We're thinking:

A top shelf in each alcove, at the ceiling line, will house a couple of stations etc. The line will curve out and run across the front of the chimney breast, on a shelf which will sit on top of a brick viaduct - the central arch of which will suggest the shape of the missing fireplace I hope. The backscene will have a sky which fades to white clouds to blend with the white ceiling above.

Woodsmith is doing some number crunching to work out the necessary curves, baseboard construction and so on. We can get on with the decorating and stuff, and put the shelves in, and then work on the layout at our leisure.

Any hints or suggestions welcome!
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
cidawson

cidawson is on a distinguished road

It sounds like a great use of the space, the only concern that I would have is that it looks like you've got a couple of radiators to be mounted in each alcove. Beware of the heat rising straight into the bottom of the shelves (be it books or railway layout).

Other than that go for it!
cidawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
Woodsmith

Woodsmith is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the caution, yes, there will be a couple of radiators to go in.

The radiators are quite short, barely higher then the brackets on the wall. Above the radiators will be a deep shelf with, possibly, books and stereo speakers for the bedroom hifi. The shelf will have reflective foil insulation underneath, and behind the radiators, to direct heat into the room.

Above that shelf will be the layout so there will be a good bit of space between the two, about 7"-8".

We have thought about using the lower shelf as a low, wide storage cupboard for rolling stock and model making kit but will need to make sure there is extra insulation to keep heat out of it.

Also I doubt there will be much heating on generally as the room has internal wall and ceiling insulation and benefits from the heat rising from the living space below.

I like having a fiancee who makes suggestions like "Lets have an N gauge in the bedroom!"
Woodsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 12:14 AM   #4
cidawson

cidawson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsmith View Post
I like having a fiancee who makes suggestions like "Lets have an N gauge in the bedroom!"

You'll stop liking it when you have a fiancee that says "Can we get the train to deliver tea and toast in bed"
cidawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
Woodsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidawson View Post
You'll stop liking it when you have a fiancee that says "Can we get the train to deliver tea and toast in bed"
I don't see why. It would mean having a bit of O gauge railway as well.

We've already discussed whether or not Planet from West Lancs Light Railway would fit in the bedroom....

http://www.westlancs.org/

She would, but Planet would probably be happier with more then 16' of track to run on, and our friend and neighbour would probably object to helping carry her up there after all the effort involved in carrying a cast iron bath up to the ensuite.
Old 28-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

In N gauge you could have an end to end layout, with an automated operation, that sent trains from one end to the other, with sufficient delay before returning. With sixteen feet, you could go 00 or even 0 gauge. I'm always amazed by what people do in the bedroom!!LOL.
Bulleidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
andy757

andy757 is on a distinguished road

Why was my last post removed ?
andy757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #8
Woodsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy757 View Post
Why was my last post removed ?
Don't know? I didn't see it.

What did you say?

Arch was thinking of an end to end with dcc control.
I was thinking of a double track loop with sidings in the alcoves. Having a loop of track would require the baseboard to be built out from the alcoves, around 500-600mm I guess.

End to end would be easier, and be a more efficient use of alcove space. It could also allow us to 'own' a station at each end to manage train movements before sending it back down the line.

I think we settled on N Gauge to have a, relatively, longer line though we didn't actually discuss larger options. OO or O would be kinder on our eye sight but reduce the amount of 'train' that can be stationed at each alcove.

We did discuss T Gauge but figured that we would never be able to see it over the viaduct parapet, especially from the other side of the room where the bed would be. T would mean we could realistically model our local line between two stations using full scale distances. Might be a little boring and a poor excuse to model our house at 1:450 scale (about 1" tall).
Old 29-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
andy757

andy757 is on a distinguished road

I like having a fiance who makes suggestions like "Lets have an N gauge in the bedroom

I would worry when the fiancÚ shows more interest in the N gauge than "other bedroom activities"
andy757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #10
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

Your post was removed as there was an inappropriate remark about tunnels.

The forum is a public place and any out of line comments will be edited or removed to protect younger readers or those who may be offended by such comments.

Forum rule 2 applied.