Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Advertisers Area > Model Railway Books

Model Railway Books Books currently available to help the railway modeller.

Old 17-11-2016, 10:59 PM   #1
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Living Model Railway.

While I do not know if the book is still in print or not (Mine is a second edition from 2002 so is nearly new), I find this book fascinating.
I think I bought this book with others secondhand and had put it aside. It was a book I'd glanced over and not really read. When I wanted to downsize my book collection it was one of the books I was going to take t the recycling book charity but I thought I'd better read the books again before I would send them. I can't have read this one much as wow! What a book!
I probably didn't read it as I was a 00 gauge modeller and this was a book about an 0 gauge railway. While I don't want to give too much away about this book for those who may want to read it, I will say this book had really inspired me! The railway was designed for operation and built over many years. Also the writer goes into a few other model railways of interest to further the concept.
The model railway, though not super detailed or super scenic, has a far more realistic "Railway feel" to it.
I'm sure most who go past the first few pages and pictures, and actually read it will find it a riviting and worthwhile read even if ones scale and gauge may not be the same.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 08:31 PM   #2
BobDM

BobDM is on a distinguished road

I agree. I picked up this book in our local library and found loads of valuable info in it. There is a particularly good chapter on how to model a station correctly including the correct siting of traps etc.
One of the nice things is how important his dad was, not only as keen railway modeller, but also as an inspiration in life. Makes you wish you could have met him.
BobDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 02:27 PM   #3
tersono

tersono is on a distinguished road

yep - i have a copy too. One of the good ones
Old 29-12-2017, 10:27 AM   #4
Byegad

Byegad is on a distinguished road

On three recommendations I've just ordered a copy. Thanks to you all for the heads-up.
Byegad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 09:12 PM   #5
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Is a type of book that at first, as it is mostly 0 gauge coarse scale most modellers may look twice, but when one starts to read it, it becomes addictive and one wants to copy some of the ideas in ones own chosen scale and gauge. I think that once you start to read it you will like it, and even if you dont implement some of the ideas for yourself, you will find that you will get a lot from it.
Old 18-01-2018, 09:20 AM   #6
Michael P

Michael P is on a distinguished road

Thanks MG. Mine is winging its way to me as I type. Will save it as reading material for my hols. The wife will hide it away for me (then promptly forget where she put it). Two days before hols will have to turn the house upside down. Maybe I should just read it when it arrives.
Michael P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 11:27 AM   #7
mijj

mijj is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone, I found a '94 copy for a penny + p&p online. I'm sure it will do me, in fact anything railway will help this non-railway person to get some background .
Jim.
mijj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 06:02 PM   #8
Jeff Mennell

Jeff Mennell is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info, you made me curious to look at this book so I have now reserved it at my local library!
Jeff Mennell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:53 AM   #9
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

How do you find it? I had mine for ages (As I bought it secondhand with a few other books) before I got down to reading it. Was a book I was about to put in the "Give away" pile when I realised I'd not actually read it. When I started to read it I couldn't put it down! Even though I dont have 0 gauge, and most of the book covers 0 gauge coarse scale modelling as back then, it was what they had.
It is hard to read this book without it having some form of influence in ones model railway design in some form or another.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 11-02-2018 at 12:55 AM.