Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Modelling Techniques - Show and Tell

Modelling Techniques - Show and Tell Your place to show and describe in detail and with photos how you produced a specific item of modelling. Rolling stock, Building, Scenery or something else related.

Old 20-07-2017, 07:55 AM   #1
narrowminded

narrowminded is on a distinguished road
Default To weather or whether not to?

I would really like to have some feedback on whether to weather.
Please don't answer by telling me that it is personal choice and ultimately up to me as I already am aware of that.
I would like to see how many of you DO weather and those that don't.
This will help me make up my mind.
My layout will be a preserved line so I would imagine the volunteers would passionately clean everything in sight.
I just haven't got the guts to take my airbrush to my models as once done it's done and I might regret it.
If it's not done then I cannot regret anything but just wonder if if should have done.....if that makes sense?
I don't want to ruin a perfectly brand new out of the box running model.
I COULD do just a very light dusting.
With the Hornby special edition models I just could not bring myself to weather such a beautiful gleaming model.
What's your take on it please?
Pete
narrowminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 08:02 AM   #2
Shroomy
Chief Vinter

Shroomy is an unknown quantity at this point

Use something like this before you start if you make a mistake with care you can take it back to original
https://www.modeldisplayproducts.co.uk/testors-dullcote
Loads of stuff on YouTube you can't really go wrong don't just look at train weathering
Here is great video for some effects
https://youtu.be/-0EWdr6t8m0

Last edited by Shroomy; 20-07-2017 at 08:11 AM.
Shroomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 11:00 AM   #3
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Weather or not....personal thing of course.
For me, I like my models looking like new. Others like to see them looking dirty as often they were in everyday use. But I think of my layout as a layout and not the real thing.
Another reason to weather them is to cover up scratches and ware marks on some things, as seen done by some sellers on ebay. Then they ask double the price because it is weathered. One of the ebay cons that is.
I have not tried to weather a loco for fear of spoiling it. But if you want to have a go I would get some old cheap coaches or a loco which are damaged to practice on.
But I like to see my models in nice clean condition. John
Old 20-07-2017, 11:09 AM   #4
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

My take on this is that the world out there ain't pristine so if I want to create a miniature version of (part of) it then that should try and reflect reality. Having said that, so far I have restricted all my weathering attempts to only buildings and wagons. I will have a go at locos some time and start with my cheapest eBay purchases.
Old 20-07-2017, 11:23 AM   #5
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

I do weather buildings and some wagons. Nothing drastic though just a light brush with some weathering powder.

On a building weathering may consist of grass growing in the gutters or moss on the roof. Mainly soot on the loco sheds.
Old 20-07-2017, 01:14 PM   #6
mijj

mijj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by narrowminded View Post
I would really like to have some feedback on whether to weather.

Pete
I think you have made a good case for leaving it pristine. How else would a heritage station run? I intend doing the same except that I will have some freight mixed in. Perhaps I'll have to dirty them a little .
You can always title it 'station of the year award' .
jim.
mijj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 01:36 PM   #7
LC&DR
Goods Shunter (retired)

LC&DR is on a distinguished road

I have a mixture of weathered and pristine on my collection, but I have no special preference. As said by Footplate weathering can be used to cover up defects, and this can cut both ways, I have used weathering to mask a less than ideal repaint.

I do find that the heavy weathering sometimes applied to represent the last days of steam where locos are, not to put too fine a point on it, filthy, is a step too far for me.

A lot of so called 'weathering' simply seems to be a blow over in brown with an airbrush. However weathering to be done realistically should be a painstaking application of a mixture of colours to represent fading paint, oil staining, water staining, grease, rust, and cleaning. (Cleaning frequently resulted in various parts being stained or worn away. )

No I shall not universally weather my stuff, but I may have an odd go now and then.
LC&DR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 03:12 PM   #8
Genetk44

Genetk44 is on a distinguished road

I really enjoy weathering and experimenting with weathering techniques. I'll weather wagons at the dop of a hat but am a bit more circumspect with locos. I definately Dullcote everything,weathered or not just to get the shine off them. All that being said...practise on a couple of sacrificial wagons....and don't forget, weathering powders,water-paints and water-based coloured pencil can all be washed-off as long as they haven't been sealed.
Cheers
Gene

IMG_2403.JPG

IMG_2270.JPG

IMG_2273.JPG

DSCN2176.JPG
Genetk44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 09:48 AM   #9
Byegad

Byegad is on a distinguished road

I like a mixture of weathered and unweathered stock and locos on my layout.
Byegad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #10
yelrow

yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a different view. if you want a weathered loco, buy one, already done. To my mind, you de value your collection, so selling at a later date, is ruled out. Everything i have, i have boxes for, and have modified nowt. This weathered concept, is a new fangled thing, that i can do without. No doubt many will disagree. john
yelrow is offline   Reply With Quote