Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Modelling Techniques - Show and Tell

Modelling Techniques - Show and Tell Your place to show and describe in detail and with photos how you produced a specific item of modelling. Rolling stock, Building, Scenery or something else related.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-07-2017, 10:36 AM   #11
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist
 

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Cumbria and Scotish boarder.
Posts: 2,081
Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road
Default

Yes John. Could not have put it better myself, they are my thoughts. So if you want it weathered then you may as well have it done by somebody who is good at it. Or buy one finnished at factory.
But on the other hand, one of my favorit pass times, for instance, is rebuilding older locos because I enjoy it. Other people like nothing else but building kits and love playing with the air brush. So guess it all boils down to what diferent people enjoy doing at the end of the day. Comes down to the old story. It's your layout so do what you want with it.
John
__________________
I may be wrong as I very often am. John
Footplate1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 02:56 PM   #12
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot
 
Walkingthedog's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: HAZLEMERE, Bucks
Posts: 10,430
Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road
Default

One of the things I do with plank wagons is paint part of some of the planks with a wood primer colour. This gives the impression that planks have been repaired but not yet painted.


You may ask why I do that and my answer is, why not.
__________________
NURSE,the screens!
Walkingthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 03:48 PM   #13
narrowminded
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 201
narrowminded is on a distinguished road
Default

Many thanks guys for your input.
Like I expected it's a mixed bag.
It has helped me to make my mind up .
I am going to go on this tack.
I agree with weathering buildings, track and everything else. Have done that and will continue to.
Good point about the eBay trick of weathering over defects.
Good point about de valuing but it must also be born in mind that some professionally weathered examples are more expensive.
If it is kept as is, out of the box and looked after then of course the resale value will be a plus. Let's face it we all have eras!
We do the steam bug and then suddenly we realise that diesels have something about them, we fall in love with diesels and want to sell our steam stuff in boxes to get the cash for diesels .
I have just bought eight beautifully detailed private owner wagons in new pristine. The last thing I want to do is gunk them up.
Like said, it is not the real thing it is a model railway.
My excuse for super clean goods stock is that the Inglenook sidings from where they will operate is an extension of my preserved line and enthusiasts can have a go at shunting wagons.
Dammit I don't need excuses do I?
I will keep my locos and rolling stock as is.
Thanks again for a good discussion.
Pete
narrowminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 05:33 PM   #14
yelrow
Senior Member
 
yelrow's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: burgandy france
Posts: 1,075
yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

NM, very sensible, except dont agree about the selling of steam locos to replace with those Diesel things. I have never parted with anything since starting in 1960, so a tad prejudiced, but cannot for the life of me; see the reason for the love affair with diesels. Sure, i have a few, and they run well, but add a few drops of steam oil to my triang/ hornby steamers, and nostalgia, takes over. These are the the trains i saw, as a lad. john
yelrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 07:54 PM   #15
narrowminded
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 201
narrowminded is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelrow View Post
NM, very sensible, except dont agree about the selling of steam locos to replace with those Diesel things. I have never parted with anything since starting in 1960, so a tad prejudiced, but cannot for the life of me; see the reason for the love affair with diesels. Sure, i have a few, and they run well, but add a few drops of steam oil to my triang/ hornby steamers, and nostalgia, takes over. These are the the trains i saw, as a lad. john
Because I have to watch the purse I sometimes need to part with things to finance the new ideas. I only used the diesel scenario as an example!!!
BUT now you mention it just a bit about diesels.
I too would not entertain them. They were just ugly.
My son liked them a lot so I kept looking at pictures of diesels and kept wondering what the big buzz here is.
Then slowly but surely I accepted this ugliness and bought one.
It ran superbly and better than any of my steamers.
Mhhh....I thought...I think I like this.
Bite the bullet and get yourself a brand new Bachman or Hornby 08 Shunter.
Run it.......and then tell me you don't like diesels.
Or glue a chimney on it!
Pete
narrowminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 09:32 PM   #16
Genetk44
Junior Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 16
Genetk44 is on a distinguished road
Default

I think the idea that weathering a piece of rollingstock automatically devalues it might be a bit overstated and a red-herring. The first thing that devalues rollingstock is the opening of the box and removing it from said box. Its just lost value. Now you actually handle it and put it on track and run it...it has just lost more value. Will weathering actually devalue it even more...bad weathering most probably will and excellent weathering might actually increase its value. Quite frankly, based on my personal experience as well as other folks I know that have sold-on used stock, you might be very lucky to get even 50% of your initial cost out of a loco even if it was not weathered and ran perfectly.... and probably not even that in most cases.
Genetk44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 03:38 AM   #17
narrowminded
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 201
narrowminded is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genetk44 View Post
I think the idea that weathering a piece of rollingstock automatically devalues it might be a bit overstated and a red-herring. The first thing that devalues rollingstock is the opening of the box and removing it from said box. Its just lost value. Now you actually handle it and put it on track and run it...it has just lost more value. Will weathering actually devalue it even more...bad weathering most probably will and excellent weathering might actually increase its value. Quite frankly, based on my personal experience as well as other folks I know that have sold-on used stock, you might be very lucky to get even 50% of your initial cost out of a loco even if it was not weathered and ran perfectly.... and probably not even that in most cases.
So do you weather your stock or leave them as is?
narrowminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 02:31 PM   #18
Genetk44
Junior Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 16
Genetk44 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by narrowminded View Post
So do you weather your stock or leave them as is?
I weather some and leave some be...I go on binges, I get the urge to weather or try a new technique and I'll go on a roll for a few days and weather a bunch of cars or a loco and then take a break for a time. I tend to weather freight wagons more than locos but I am not averse to weathering locos.DSCN2177.JPG

IMG_2451.JPG

i-WQktZGW-S.jpg
Genetk44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 03:37 PM   #19
yelrow
Senior Member
 
yelrow's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: burgandy france
Posts: 1,075
yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

i suppose the next thing will be to weather our cars: boats. when you look at Preservation railways, their locos look pristeen. i really cant see the point of buying something new, only to deface it. john
yelrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 05:38 PM   #20
Genetk44
Junior Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 16
Genetk44 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelrow View Post
i suppose the next thing will be to weather our cars: boats. when you look at Preservation railways, their locos look pristeen. i really cant see the point of buying something new, only to deface it. john
Your first sentence really is not germane to the discussion. As for the rest...if one models a railway that represents a Preservation railway that keeps its locos and rolling-stock pristine then by all means do likewise. But a model railway that represents an actual working railway looks unrealistic and toylike if pristine.
But each to their own.
Genetk44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.