Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > N Gauge

N Gauge N Gauge model railway topics

Old 19-05-2017, 12:25 PM   #1
jak48

jak48 is on a distinguished road
Default dc or dcc

Hi Everyone,
I currently have a dc layout on a 7'x2'6" board. This consists of two mainline tracks with trains going in opposite directions also quite a few sidings.As this is n gauge you get quite a lot on this size of board. I have around ten isolated sections and after a few teething troubles,with the help of you guys everything works great.A few of my loco's are very new and have directional lighting,also a few older loco's. After much deliberation I have decided to change my layout(for the better I hope)and was seriously considering going dcc on new layout.
However, after some deliberation I have come to the conclusion that the one and only benefit I would get from dcc is running two trains on one track.Owing to the cost of decoders etc I don't feel I would get any benefit apart from this as mentioned a number of my locos have directional lights without having to purchase decoders etc. Also,i have virtually trouble free running at both high & low speeds. I would appreciate some views on whether I should stick with dc on new layout or go dcc. Thanks for your time folks,jack
jak48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 12:31 PM   #2
RogerB

RogerB is on a distinguished road

Hi Jack, welcome to the forum. You seem happy with the way DC works and on a layout of your current size it seems ideal. I suppose one consideration might be if your intended layout is going to be any bigger and will accommodate more running lines and therefore several trains running at once? As you say, perhaps not worth the additional expense. R-
Old 19-05-2017, 12:42 PM   #3
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

I think RogerB is correct. If you're happy with what DC (Analogue control) offers you then stay with it.
If you were starting out with nothing so far purchased then that's perhaps a different ball game as I would then say go with DCC from the start.
Old 20-05-2017, 12:13 PM   #4
jak48

Thanks for your opinion.I am sure you are right,i will probably stick with dc for the time being.
Jack
Old 20-05-2017, 12:14 PM   #5
jak48

Thanks for that Flashbang. Will stick with dc meantime.
Jack
Old 24-05-2017, 12:12 PM   #6
kmcsjr

kmcsjr is on a distinguished road

Jack,
It's your hobby, for fun. So it sounds like you are in the right place. But, if you want to try DCC for under 100, take a look at:
https://github.com/DccPlusPlus/BaseS...DCC--Plus-Plus

You may find you like controlling your trains, from your phone. The throttle apps are quite nice. I mix remotely controlled turnouts, with manual. It is the least expensive way to enter DCC. There are even ways to build your own turnout decoders. I just havent looked at cost, on those. I doubt we could build the teeny decoders needed for n scale locos, so that cost will always be there. Enjoy
kmcsjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:37 PM   #7
jak48

Thanks for that KM... All that sounds a bit too "techy" for me however.Being 68 and not tech minded I decided recently(after this original post) to go dcc and purchased an NCE powercab starter set and a few Gaugemaster decoders. Will be starting a new thread on that later.
Cheers,
Jack