Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Product Review

Product Review A place to give open and honest reviews of new or older model railway related products. Please observe forum rule 6 when posting.

Old 22-05-2017, 11:48 AM   #11
Pete127

Pete127 is on a distinguished road

Mr Bones, many thanks for your quick reply. I have now downloaded the V1.11.2 file .
On opening it, I see it asks me to enter the IP address for my Z21 Black, this is the same number as the "default" shown in the downloaded application, so presumably I just use it as it is and don't change anything ?
One last question - what are the best voltages for "track" and "programming", as it seems to be pre-set at 18volts.?
Thanks again,
P.
Pete127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 12:36 PM   #12
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Well. Track voltage gave me some unexpected and puzzling issues in the past on DCC.
I had been exploring my DCC controller set up (Lenz system) and while setting up other things in programming I'd also set it from default (Around 18 volts) to 12 volt as I reasoned my trains need 12 volts.
After doing this I'd completely forgotten I had done it as it was a good few days or weeks before I tried to run anything. (Back then I was on railway shifts so it could be a while before I could get to play trains...)
What puzzled me was that when running a loco without a decoder it worked fine but DCC locos were running too slow. Really puzzled I phoned the shop who imported Lenz and where I had bought my system from and he was just as puzzled but suggested I reset the system and told me how. I did that and no issues since... Was only months later I remembered what I had done and put the pieces together!
So in conclusion, I would say most systems default voltage to be right for 00/H0 gauge and even N gauge, but it is good to have a read from the controller manual about the subject. Not sure about other makes, but I found Lenz manuals to give more then enough information that I needed, and I expect it will be the same with other makes.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 06:06 PM   #13
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

The DCC rail volts should be typically around 14 to 16 volts. The NMRA has the rail volts details... link to NMRA
You can only accurately measure DCC rail volts with one of the following... A true RMS reading multimeter capable of reading at 10KHz, a RRamp meter or an oscilloscope.
A standard multimeter will give an indication of the rail volts on its AC voltage range, but it won't be 100% accurate.
Old 22-05-2017, 09:06 PM   #14
Mr Bones
Privateer

Mr Bones is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete127 View Post
Mr Bones, many thanks for your quick reply. I have now downloaded the V1.11.2 file .
On opening it, I see it asks me to enter the IP address for my Z21 Black, this is the same number as the "default" shown in the downloaded application, so presumably I just use it as it is and don't change anything ?
One last question - what are the best voltages for "track" and "programming", as it seems to be pre-set at 18volts.?
Thanks again,
P.
The IP address will probably be 192.168.0.111 (or similar) which I think is a standard for the router.

As for the voltage I think FB and MG have answered that. Personally I didn't play with that at all and left it at the default. What I understand about electrics could go on the back of a postage stamp with a marker pen
Old 22-05-2017, 09:31 PM   #15
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Flashbang knows tons more then I do as I just scratch the surface...
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 12:43 AM   #16
Pete127

Pete127 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashbang View Post
The DCC rail volts should be typically around 14 to 16 volts. The NMRA has the rail volts details... link to NMRA
You can only accurately measure DCC rail volts with one of the following... A true RMS reading multimeter capable of reading at 10KHz, a RRamp meter or an oscilloscope.
A standard multimeter will give an indication of the rail volts on its AC voltage range, but it won't be 100% accurate.
Many Thanks Flash,
The reason I asked about Track and Prog voltages, is that by using the Roco maintenance tool for Z21, I can alter the voltages, which seem to be pre-set at 18V for both Track & Programming. My old Hornby Elite gives 16.5 volts (I think), so I had been using my Z21 set at 16V, and all seemed well. The programming track also seems to be pre-set on Z21 to be 18V , so my question now is , is this too high ? as I'm sure I read somewhere that the programming voltages for DCC are much lower, and so is safer when programming a decoder (preventing damage etc..). If this is the case, what should I set my programming voltage to be ..?

All, I have now managed to update Z21 to the latest firmware and also updated my Android tablet app to the latest version too, so thanks for your help again.
Just need to get my mind around how to export & import files !!! as usual I can't find this info on Roco's web.
Also - just read on RM Web that the Z21 Black can alter & upload sound files to Zimo sound decoders , so must give that a try too.
Blimey, anything else the Z21 can do that we don't know about ?.......what a piece of kit !

P.
Pete127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 02:15 PM   #17
IanLMS

IanLMS is on a distinguished road

I have recently purchased the z21 white version from scograil and i am extremely pleased with it. 145 all in for the z21, wi-fi pakage and Multimaus handset. Not as many functions as the bigger Z21, but works perfectly well on a small/medium sized layout using a Samsung tablet. Great info on your review as both systems use the same apps etc. Ian
IanLMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 03:09 PM   #18
Blue Pullman

Blue Pullman is on a distinguished road

I constantly read the white is not as good as the black but unless written in technical jargon a bit heavy going for me I'm unable to work out what I would miss with the white. We have just bought a holiday house and I'm having a second railway, currently I have a black, what should I buy for my 2nd railway black or white? I expect to be there for a month say at a time and have a fleet of locos at each end, I may start off with dc on it to begin with.
I will write another response to MrBones on his excellent review later.
Blue Pullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM   #19
Mattc6911

Mattc6911 is on a distinguished road

Quick response re differences lifted from there own blurb if it helps ?

The z21 version for beginners (white box, little z at z21) has the same features as the Z21 for experts with only a few smaller connection and configuration limitations. Left out are LocoNet, CAN-Bus, the X-Bus port on the backside, the Sniffer-Bus, the possibility of a decoder-update for Zimo-decoder and the programmable track port as well as the track current regulator.

So the white would probably work fine for your holiday home trip ?

Cheers

Matt C
Mattc6911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:57 PM   #20
Mr Bones
Privateer

Mr Bones is an unknown quantity at this point

I honestly couldn't say what the real difference between the z21 and Z21 are despite ready lots about them both. For me I went with the Z21 to future proof myself. I didn't want to get to a point where I tried to do something and found I couldn't because the z21 didn't have that facility.

From what you say I would agree with Matt that the z21 would be fine for the holiday layout. However, I guess you would need to list your requirements for that layout and ensure it meets them. Have you considered taking the Z21 Black with you when you go away, it can store more than one layout. Would depend how you travel and how far I guess.