Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Members layouts

Members layouts Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects

Old 16-06-2018, 07:04 AM   #111
andy757

andy757 is on a distinguished road

The "visible" part of the layout will only be 15ft x 3ft so not that big. The other parts of the layout won't have any scenery.

I had planned on going OO gauge and having an outside section accessed via a tunnel through the block and timber cladding, then running along the outside of the workshop to a spare piece of land. I have an area in the yard that is not doing anything except growing weeds and long grass and would lend itself to having a "garden railway" but then I thought to myself, Mmmm bit ambitious....

I'm taking a gamble going N gauge though and am hoping the eye sight won't get worse over the coming months
andy757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:48 AM   #112
andy757

andy757 is on a distinguished road

Had a rethink over the weekend and will now model in OO gauge. The reality is that the eyes are probably not up to working with N gauge and I think with a layout this size, a decent railway will evolve in OO.

Likely to go DCC (and possibly with sound). Historically, I've always built using DC power so flashbang be warned, I may be asking you questions
andy757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:53 AM   #113
Bunkerbarge

Bunkerbarge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy757 View Post
Had a rethink over the weekend and will now model in OO gauge. The reality is that the eyes are probably not up to working with N gauge and I think with a layout this size, a decent railway will evolve in OO.

Likely to go DCC (and possibly with sound). Historically, I've always built using DC power so flashbang be warned, I may be asking you questions
I know opinion is split right down the middle here but I am very happy with my DCC set up. Starting from scratch allows a decision based on personal preference rather than anything to do with existing stock and being in Lincolnshire you have easy access to Digitrains who are very helpful and knowledgeable. You can take them a loco and discus the best options for conversion to DCC, if possible.

I'm using a Signa Trak controller, Zimo sound decoders and Cobalt SS points motors. I've had challenges but things are now settling down a bit more. My biggest challenge is the fact that I am going to incorporate a switchable live steam loop.
Bunkerbarge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM   #114
roger oldacre

roger oldacre is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy757 View Post

Good morning Andy, you seem to have come to the same conclusion as I did, eyes not up to N gauge and more flexibility with DCC. It just hads another dimension to modelling with sound and lighting although a little more expensive I find it well worth it.
Good luck.
Roger.
roger oldacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:15 PM   #115
DaveH

DaveH is on a distinguished road
Default Enjoy the challenge

I agree. If you have the space then OO wins. After all our eyesight is unlikely to get better with age. DCC can be a challenge at times. I have decided to build a rather ambitious project here in Spain with multiple Digitrax DCC boosters and Digikeijs loco detection. The Digitrax kit was all sourced from Digitrains and I have found them very helpful.
DaveH is offline   Reply With Quote