Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Tools

Tools Suggest or recommend suitable tools for use in constructing your model railway.

Old 30-12-2017, 09:09 PM   #21
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to be honest and say my current tubes of solder have come from pound shops or similar. The last two I bought contained lead which I was rather pleased with. If I have one that has difficulty in flowing, I simply apply flux. Flux is new to me and soldering. Seems one has to take care using it if one reads the instructions. It really makes a difference if the solder doesn't flow. I'm told not to use more then needed as it can corrode what one has soldered. It may need cleaning off after the job has been done.
Though I've been soldering on and off for a number of years using a resistance heat gun, I've gone back to a traditional iron and am learning lots of late, especially due to soldering many sleepers to rails on my layout. I'm slowly getting neater in my work, though I still tend to overdo things as it was a case of "Am I sure that small amountnof solder will be strong enough?" Then I put some more just in case and end up with solder overkill. So it certainly has been a learning curve for me.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 30-12-2017 at 09:15 PM.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:27 PM   #22
Bigfilmguy
Apprentice Track Layer

Bigfilmguy is on a distinguished road

Well, I feel like a proper modeller now, I've clipped a few bits of spare wire off and soldered them together. Not the neatest joins, but the solder that came with my iron isn't flux cored and the tub of flux I ordered hasn't arrived yet. Just to complete my soldering rite of passage, I promptly burned my finger after not realising how quickly it heats up! Off to get a piece of track to practice soldering droppers to, let's see how many sleepers I can melt!
Bigfilmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:47 PM   #23
RogerB

RogerB is on a distinguished road

Well done BFG, all that's left now is for you to glue your fingers together with Superglue or the hot glue gun. (Seriously, don't try that at home). R-
Old 03-01-2018, 02:49 PM   #24
Mr Bones
Privateer

Mr Bones is on a distinguished road

Don't worry about burning your fingers, I'm sure most people have done it at some point. I know I have! Whilst concentrating hard I decided to steady the tip with my index finger Won't be doing that again
Old 03-01-2018, 03:34 PM   #25
Old shed

Old shed is on a distinguished road

Some years ago one Sunday a friend of mine decided to replace the hand wash basin in his bathroom. He rang me in the afternoon to say that he had spent hours trying to solder the copper pipe to the copper fittings without success had I got any idea what the problem might be. I asked if he had cleaned everything and he said no he had purchased the pipe and fittings that morning so it was all new. I explained that the joints needed to be clinically clean and to clean everything with steel wool. A while later he rang back to say job done. It cannot be stressed enough how important it is that the parts to be soldered must be clean. Oxides from the air even sweat from your fingers will prevent the solder from running.
Steel wool is best although emery cloth can be used although it leaves deposits from the abrasive and the adhesive used.
So remember clean, clean clean
Old shed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:04 PM   #26
Silvernovice

Silvernovice is on a distinguished road

Speaking of burnt fingers, the other day I was extremely careful in handling the iron, then made the mistake of picking up the sprung holder by the metal coil.

Branded a nice set of lines across my hand, spent ages under a cold running tap, glad I am not on a water meter!
Peter
Silvernovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:58 PM   #27
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Hope the iron was not plugged in under the tap
Old 03-01-2018, 05:49 PM   #28
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

Here is my solder the nearly empty reel was like the full one when i started both reels were done on a bartering system some 25 years ago, not sure what i made for the supplier now.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solder.jpg (176.2 KB, 11 views)
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:13 PM   #29
Bigfilmguy
Apprentice Track Layer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
Well done BFG, all that's left now is for you to glue your fingers together with Superglue or the hot glue gun. (Seriously, don't try that at home). R-
Dont worry Roger, I've already done that as I have spent many years building Games Workshops miniatures!
Old 03-01-2018, 06:18 PM   #30
Bigfilmguy
Apprentice Track Layer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old shed View Post
It cannot be stressed enough how important it is that the parts to be soldered must be clean. Oxides from the air even sweat from your fingers will prevent the solder from running.
Steel wool is best although emery cloth can be used although it leaves deposits from the abrasive and the adhesive used.
So remember clean, clean clean
I've got a fibre pen ready. I figure if it's good enough for Everard Junction, it's good enough for me!