Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Social & Other Chat > General Chat

General Chat Chat here with other members.

Old 16-08-2018, 10:59 AM   #1
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road
Default Ebay - Arrogance or ignorance?

There is a person selling seven Merchant Navy Class locos on ebay (individually) - a Class that is dear to my heart! I look regularly in case there is something of interest. All of the loco's are described as "Brand new" and DCC Ready - they could be DCC Ready, but some would have had to have been converted - which the prospective buyer should be told. The loco that caught my eye, has not been produced by Hornby and the "R" number given was for a different loco. There are a number of errors in all of the items.
I sent the person a polite email several days ago pointing out the error in his description. I have had no reply and the listing remains as posted. The person has 100% feedback and has some 1500 sales under there belt. I've done this before and have always had a polite reply thanking me for pointing out the problem, and the posting has been changed. I should add all the loco's are currently very reasonably priced. BB
Old 16-08-2018, 11:10 AM   #2
Steve M
Carcharodon carcharias

Steve M is on a distinguished road

I suspect it’s both of those Barry.
Old 16-08-2018, 11:20 AM   #3
Bunkerbarge

Bunkerbarge is on a distinguished road

Sometimes people are not available, which I personally find irresponsible because if I wanted to sell something I would make sure I was available throughout the sale. Not everyone thinks the same. I have seen frustrating things myself over the years but, I'm sad to say, have long since given up as it would appear to be more the norm nowadays that sellers simply do not care.

As I've mentioned before I purchased a Thompson L1, described as only opened up for the photos and fitting a Zimo sound decoder. What they didn't say was that the decoder was old and the fitting job was very poor, leading ultimately to a short.

We can only warn people to do their homework but, at the end of the day we still remain at the mercy of the integrity of the seller. Interestingly however I do now feel that eBay is very firmly on the side of the buyer and it is extremely easy to return something and get postage paid for without question. You simply have to declare that the item is not as described (scratch, paint chip etc done by the buyer) and eBay are fully on the side of the buyer.

Another interesting aspect that I have seen recently is the fact that when you sell something you are pressured into selling your item "Open to Offers". By pressured I mean that you pay more for the sale if you do not offer this option. Consequently you are bombarded by stupidly low offers from chancers looking for something for nothing and no-one puts a bid on!! I thought it was supposed to be an "Auction" site!!

In answer to your first question "Arrogance or Ignorance" you may well have missed out the very strong possibility of "Stupidity"!!
Bunkerbarge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 11:24 AM   #4
Rog (RJ)
Super Duper Moderator ;-)

Rog (RJ) is on a distinguished road

I've pointed out mistakes in the past. Sometimes get a reply sometimes don't and changes to the listing are sometimes made other times not, and on one occasion the listing was withdrawn as it was a totally different item to what was listed (but similar). I think he had assumed it was made by a particular maker but it wasn't.

Rog (RJ)
Rog (RJ) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 11:36 AM   #5
dtb
9C Macclesfield

dtb is on a distinguished road

I have an interest in collecting Midland region coaches and noticed the same earlier this week with a Bachmann coach that was listed as a BSK, the picture was quite clearly a SK. The running number wasn't clear so I contacted the seller and asked to clarify the number, I also explained the coach was not a BSK.

A reply with the number confirmed my thoughts and shortly after the listing was removed rather than being changed due to having a bid on the item. Soon after a new listing appeared.

As with you no response from the seller apart from clarifying the coach number
'Running number is :- M24....' no thanks, kiss my a**e or sweet .........

Yes certainly both arrogance and ignorance with this seller.
Old 16-08-2018, 01:02 PM   #6
Steve M
Carcharodon carcharias

I have one guy who lets me know if any of my listings are incorrect - I'm on first name terms with him now.

I had a chap 'discussing' whether a loco I was selling really was DCC ready, not sure he believed me even though I informed that I had removed the decoder for the sale.
Old 16-08-2018, 05:52 PM   #7
Silly Moo

Silly Moo is on a distinguished road

I’ve noticed that some items are listed as ‘brand new’ when they are clearly quite a few years old, they may be in good condition and unused but can they be called ‘brand new’ ? I would consider anything bought from a retailer brand new and everything else second hand irrespective of condition.
Silly Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 05:59 PM   #8
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

My brother bought a large 4x4 and on a seperate bid had bullbars for it with spotlights etc. He won the bid and I went to pick it up. The owner was not the seller as the owner was in his 90's (Or certainly his mid to late 80's) and wasn't really with it as he had been battling with cancer. Now the man who put his car up for sale for him was told by the owner that everything worked fine and it was perfectly driveable except it needed a new MOT and it sometimes had a slight occasional gearbox fault (Automatic). We had to wait about half an hour to an hour for the seller to turn up as the elderly gent was there but he didnt know anything about the car being sold,and didnt seem "With it".
Eventually the seller turned up, who was one of his neighbours. And he was surprised the owner didnt know who we were etc. He had to go in with the owner to get the keys to start it. It wouldn't start. It had two batteries in it, and both were absolutely bulging. The vehicle had not moved in years by the look of it (Which is not exactly how it was described). It turns out the elderly mans recollection of its condition when he last used it and when he last used it (The information he had given his neighbour to put it on eBay for him) was quite different from reality.
Fortunately the transaction was cancelled and the bullbars were also cancelled, and I hope he finds a buyer who is just the right person who can restore the vehicle or use it for spares, but it goes to show how descriptions can be added in good faith and one persons recollection of the items condition maybe totally different from how it is.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 08:07 PM   #9
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moo View Post
I’ve noticed that some items are listed as ‘brand new’ when they are clearly quite a few years old, they may be in good condition and unused but can they be called ‘brand new’ ? I would consider anything bought from a retailer brand new and everything else second hand irrespective of condition.
Hi SM - That is the question. Lots of things are described as "brand new" - usually with an explanation that the item has never been used and removed from it's box purely for photographs. I think the better description is "pre-owned". I have many loco's that have never been out of there boxes - I check there ok (without removing from the box) when they arrive in the post, and then they are stored away (I was a collector before building a layout) - so I bought from the retailer, if I sell on, it is a fair description to say the item was "pre-owned". It will always be a bone of contention. If the details give you the full story, fair enough, but as with this particular seller there are a number of discrepancies, which I would have thought they would have checked on before posting. BB
Old 16-08-2018, 10:31 PM   #10
Steve M
Carcharodon carcharias

I always list my items as ‘used’ - often the only ‘use’ is to test that the thing works. At least I’m being honest.