Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Members layouts

Members layouts Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects

Old 31-10-2016, 10:21 AM   #1
Ginger The Hutt
The Token Ginger

Ginger The Hutt is on a distinguished road
Default Clay Hills International

Clay Hills International is a fictional location, influenced by several real life locations, with a dash of artistic licence thrown in for good measure.

This initial post was edited on 30/08/2017. The reasons for this is my image host changed their ToS with no notice and removed the images. As such, some posts by me in the thread, may not make much sense. Edits through the thread will be shown in red.

As you may know, I spent a good while renovating the building which houses my model railway. I have discussed issues with my building in various threads around this forum. I don't want to link to all those: but I do have several Imgur photo albums, which I will link to at the end of this waffle for those interested to see how the building and the railway build (the most important bit obviously) have progressed.

Clay Hills will be a pretty large layout. Some 30metres of looped track. It's essentially twin dog bones, over two levels. I plan to have several different linked scenes within the layout. To give you some idea, of my plans, I'll give a basic passengers eye view tour.

There will be a moderate sized station on the North wall. On the North wall board, aside from the station will be a town scene. Leaving the station heading clockwise (to the East wall), upon leaving the town and the train will head alongside an industrial / chemical plant scene. At the end of the industrial scene, the train will do a 180 degree turn and then head down an incline back up the East wall. Arriving back at the North wall, (under the main layout now), there will be several sidings, for train storage. There will also be an underground station, connecting to the station & town above. Heading through the storage yard, will bring you out on the west wall, heading up another incline. Another 180 turn will bring you out of the tunnel from a heavily wooded scene, into an open countryside scene, before heading over a suspension bridge over a river canyon. The countryside and now farm land scene will continue up to the edge of the town, where upon the train will have the option to go straight through the station on the mainline, or pull off the mainline into the station itself, either way completing the loop.

Here is a projection of the basic track layout using SCARM. Your view is from the North East, looking South West.

Various related links:

The railway build picture album.
The railway baseboard build picture album.
The railway Terrain & Scenery picture album.
The Blog.
The YouTube channel.

The Hutt Hut Renovation Project:
The Floor
The Walls
The Skylight
The Ceiling
The Electrics
Renovation timeline and costing sheet

Last edited by Ginger The Hutt; 09-07-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Ginger The Hutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:33 PM   #2
Ginger The Hutt
The Token Ginger

After 23 months of delays... I finally got to starting the great build...

Here is the first of my cabinets, leveled and in place with the extended baseboard supports in place.

Last edited by Ginger The Hutt; 30-08-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:52 PM   #3
Ginger The Hutt
The Token Ginger

So... More progress!

On Wednesday, I got the first cabinet into place and level.
Thursday evening saw me undo Wednesdays work, redo it slightly differently, then undo the redo and finally return it to how I initially had it at close of play on Wednesday... *sigh*

Today is Friday, due to several long work days, the boss gave me a couple of hours in lieu, coupled with a conveniently available half days holiday, I've spent most of the afternoon, pottering in The Hutt Hut, playing with cabinets, baseboards, timber and screws... This is where things are now:

Picture link
Picture link
Picture link
Picture link

There's still a couple o bits to do with what I have pictured. Some extra support braces around the board edge and in one or two places on the long flat back straight, before I can put in the track. But generally, good progress today. *very pleased*

Edit: I have added links to the pictures I believe resided here.

Last edited by Ginger The Hutt; 11-09-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:28 PM   #4
dynax

dynax is on a distinguished road

it's coming along now GTH, won't be long before some track goes down,

Give a man a fish and it will feed him for a day,
teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day!!
dynax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:45 PM   #5
Ginger The Hutt
The Token Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynax View Post
it's coming along now GTH, won't be long before some track goes down,
I'm hoping to get the first bits of track down this weekend with luck!
Old 09-12-2016, 10:02 PM   #6
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

Looking good - don't rush it. BB
Old 09-12-2016, 10:21 PM   #7
Ginger The Hutt
The Token Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulleidboy View Post
Looking good - don't rush it. BB
Very difficult to not want to crack on with it. Trying to take my time and be sensible about it all...

Lol. Who am I kidding!? Trains! Track! Stuff!
Old 13-12-2016, 08:51 AM   #8
Ginger The Hutt
The Token Ginger

Progress has slowed temporarily. It occurs to me that I need to put at least a mock up of my layout plans into place so that I can plan the gradient properly.

It has also come to light that the 2% gradient I had planned, was going to be a lot more difficult to squeeze into the space. Coupled with the counter 0.5% gradient produced with my shoddy workmanship and the floor being out of kilter, I have decided to go with a 3% gradient kit. This will even out to an actual 2.5% or 1:40 incline experienced by the locomotives and will considerably shorten the incline space required.

So now I'm waiting on my local model shop to get back to me, to see if they'll accept a return of the several 2% inclines I purchased some time ago in anticipation and allow me to buy several additional 3% inclines from them!

Edit: Image removed.
Here is the 2% incline mostly laid out in place. When I realised it was going to be too long, I knocked out every third section, to replicate the height gain of the 3% kit and thus see if I had enough room for it to fit nicely, or if I would be struggling with that too. From my fiddling, I think it'll fit very nicely, allowing me to get some nice gradient introduction.

Edit: Image removed.
Here is showing the final 2% piece against the back of the cupboard. I shoved it here to see how much height, I am short from the final gradient piece to the main layout board top. It'll be in the region of 12mm. I haven't worked out how I am going to deal with this disparity right now, but I have several ideas regarding dealing with it.

Last edited by Ginger The Hutt; 30-08-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 13-12-2016, 10:03 PM   #9
philpos

philpos is on a distinguished road

Can you make a 1% inclined shim out of a pine baton or something similar, to put under the 2% incline to give 3%? Just a thought in case it was cheaper, easier, quicker.
philpos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 11:41 PM   #10
Ginger The Hutt
The Token Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by philpos View Post
Can you make a 1% inclined shim out of a pine baton or something similar, to put under the 2% incline to give 3%? Just a thought in case it was cheaper, easier, quicker.
A good thought, however my carpentry skills are not up to that accurate a job just yet. So yeah cheaper and quicker if I could do it, probably not easier at this point.