Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > OO Scale

OO Scale OO model railway topics

Old 30-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
alfaz-di-pi

alfaz-di-pi is on a distinguished road
Default Hornby R751

Hello everyone, this is my first post, and needless to say I need a bit of help.
I have 2 of the R 751 diesels, but one does not run in the right direction. In other words one of them will go forward as all my other engines, if I put the odd one on it goes backward.
I have tried changing wires over but that does not seem to help it is still going backward. Any suggestions please. At the moment I am running on DC but hope to change to DCC when I have sorted the layout.
I am sure that when I do change I will have all sorts of trouble, mainly with my poins, which carry the power through with the little wires underneath, and I have not put in any isolating fishplates. On Dc they work fine.
alfaz-di-pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

Hi
The cause is the motors magnet has been fitted the wrong way around at some stage.
Carefully strip down the motor and turn the magnet through 180- degrees. SRestore all parts and wiring and it will then run the correct way as all others.

BTW the standard for dc running is..... Positive supply to right-hand rail with loco on track and looking from the cab towards its chimney, this will give forward movement. (Steam outline loco)
Flashbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 07:39 PM   #3
alfaz-di-pi

Thanks Flashbang I will try that tomorrow and see if that is the cause. I will admit that I did strip down the motor to clean and service it, so I could quite well be the culprit. I will keep you posted. I never even thought of a reversed magnet, have i changed the field then.
There are three Magnets, one ontop of each axle and one around the motor, which one do I turn around.
Thanks again.
Old 31-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

Hi
Yes you have accidently reversed the motors polarity by fitting the motors coil magent around the wrong way.
The motor magnet is the one on the motor.
I suspect the other magnets are for use with steel rail Tri-ang/Hornby called it Magnheasion.
Flashbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
alfaz-di-pi

Default R751

Hi Flashbang, I eventually managed to get the loco running correctly, it did take three goes though. However it only took 5 minutes on the last attempt as I got used to doing it.
I should have asked you wether I was doing a vertical 160 degree turn or a horizontal 180 degree turn, it ended up being the horzontal that did the trick. Unfortunately on my first attempt, I moved the peices each side of the magnet, thinking they were the magnet, and the magnet was only a spacer.
However it is working the same as all the rest of my Loco's which was what I needed.
Thanks for the tip.