Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Wiring & Electronics > DCC

Old 06-01-2018, 02:57 PM   #1
John Disdle

John Disdle is on a distinguished road
Default very confused

I have track down, and using the Bachmann E/Z Command, my Horby 08 shunter can move very slowly over the layout. Smooth running through points is a far cry from my N gauge layout of many years ago, where the 08 stuck on most, and never managed a slow crawl anywhere.

But there are some things that are not so good. I cannot get the Peco SL30 uncoupling ramp anywhere, not even locally. There appear to be two SL30`s, which is confusing. The one I received via a mail order, is not a ramp, but looks like two check rails on a plastic base that fit between the sleepers. It doesn`t uncouple anything, and neither does the SL29 that is too low. What am I doing wrong?

The other puzzle is the Peco PL35 CDU. How do you connect the wires? The diagram shows a screwdriver pushing down on the plastic bits that stick up, but they do not want to move. Some advice would be appreciated please.
John Disdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:07 PM   #2
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

Hi John.

The SL30 with what looks like two check rails is for use with Peco Simplex couplings or the old Hornby Dublo couplings not Hornby or Bachmann and all modern OO UK Tension lock couplings. AFAIK there is only one type of SL30. Shown here.. Link to SL30

The automatic uncoupler for tension lock couplings is part SL29. Works for Hornby, Bachmann etc OO stock. This looks like a middle of the track ramp. Link to example It is sprung and as the train is pulled over it it won't uncouple, but by stopping the train with the items couplings to be uncoupled on top of the ramp and then slightly reversing the train on the ramp, the pair of couplings on top of the ramp have their hooks lifted and the train can be pulled forward leaving the rear item sitting on the uncoupler.

I dont have a Peco CDU, as far as I understand it pressing on the white button (There are four buttons in all for the four connectors) opens the lower connection tubes hole to allow the stripped wire end to be inserted. Releasing the button allows the sprung mechanism to close and grip the bare wire end.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:11 PM   #3
Cudworth

Cudworth is on a distinguished road

SL-30 is for use with Peco R2 simplex couplings.
You need SL-29 for Hornby hook and bar couplings

See this thread regarding PL-35

http://www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk/s...ead.php?t=5853

Last edited by Cudworth; 06-01-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Cudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:16 PM   #4
John Disdle

Thank you all very much for that information. I am wiring the point motors at the moment, as soon as I get the layout horizontal, I will try the uncouplers, and see if I can get the CDU wired up. Maybe use a little more effort!
Old 06-01-2018, 05:42 PM   #5
Hound Dog

Hound Dog is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I recently fitted the Peco CDU to my layout and I must say whilst depressing the white tabs opened the wire lance, the resultant orifice was a lot smaller than I anticipated, so much so that I had to utilise 16/0.2 wire rather than the heavier 24/0.2 that I had originally intended. In addition the action to open the lance is more “down and in” rather than a straight deflection, but once the wire is fully home and the tabs nursed back to close to their original position, it certainly grasps the wire quite firmly........... hope this info helps
Hound Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:08 PM   #6
John Disdle

Thanks Hound Dog. It wan`t as difficult as I thought, but a screw terminal is still better.

The uncouplers do not work, they may have been secondhand. I have taken one apart, and bent the spring, but still no joy. So probably a bad idea.

The point motor actuators move freely by hand, work when activated unconnected to the point, but when connected, do not move the point. I have tried disconnecting the CDU, and using 12 volt DC which works, but still does not move the point. The motors were secondhand. Any ideas anyone please. I am getting disillusioned with things that should work, but don`t.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:20 PM   #7
Steve M
Contrarian

Steve M is on a distinguished road

12v is sometimes not enough as point motors really need the ‘oomph’ provided by a CDU. Have you tested the PMs and the CDU on the bench rather than actually connected to a point? Alignment is usually quite critical.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:28 PM   #8
Rog (RJ)
Super Duper Moderator ;-)

Rog (RJ) is on a distinguished road

What make of point motors are you using? Solenoid point motors need very careful alignment to get reliable operation.

You said you used 12 volts dc which didn't move the point. It is usual to use 15 or 16 volts AC for solenoid point motors which gives a little bit more "oomph" especially with a CDU.

16 volts AC was often available as the auxillary supply on many older controllers but modern controllers may not have an auxiliary supply at all.

Steve posted while I was typing.

Rog (RJ)
Rog (RJ) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:46 PM   #9
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

The Peco CDU is pretty pathetic. Looks very smart but hopeless in my view.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:52 PM   #10
Steve M
Contrarian

Steve M is on a distinguished road

My New Year resolution was to type faster.