Weak magnet?

RSR Engineer

Weak magnet?

Post by RSR Engineer » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:33 pm

A friend of mine recently gave me a loco that he said he wanted to see go to a good home. She's an H0 gauge Japanese brass model of about 1965-1970 vintage. Evidently she hasn't turned a wheel in years and her performance is a bit quirky. Before testing her I gave a 10,000 mile service - oiling round, commutator cleaning etc. On starting I find she draws anything between 0.6 and 1.7 amps. This goes down to 0.4 - 0.7 once she gets rolling. Also, the loco is at first very slow, even on full voltage. Starting with the load simulator pushes the amps to 2.0, which blows the breaker. The loco is very sensitive to a 1 in 68 gradient, being faster downhill than up. The wheels turn perfectly evenly - no sign of binding. All these things lead me to suspect that the magnet in the motor may have lost some (or perhaps much) of its strength. Can anyone please confirm (or contradict) this theory? I'd be grateful for any help I can get on this.

There's a picture on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/53775591@ ... 783700505/

Cheers and many thanks,
Artur